Friday, August 1, 2014

#TensList: Ten Things I love...

Just for the heck of it... here are ten things I love, some of which are probably silly to admit to, but oh well. 

#1: Old Cartoons

I'm talking about early nineties and older. My favs are shows like The Flintstones, Scooby Do (not the new ones. It's supposed to be a real estate scam EVERY time!), Yogi Bear, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the old X-Men. They're fun and silly without having to be obnoxious and just plain stupid. 

#2: The names of paint colors

I know that sounds really dumb, but I can help enjoying names like cerulean blue and alizarin crimson and pthalo green. Don't they just sound like awesome colors? And then I get to mix them all together and make something new. In general, I love color and everything you can do with it. 

#3: Brand new colored pencils

There's just so much promise in a brand new, sharp colored pencil. It never writes quite the same after that first initial stroke. Some colored pencils are better than others, and my good ones are NOT to be used by my kids, but they hold up the best even after they lose their sharpness. 

#4: Bobs shoes

No, I didn't steal Bob's shoes. Bobs are, for lack of a better description, knockoffs of Toms. I'm not going to spend the amount of money it takes to get Toms, but the pair of Bobs I have are literally the most comfortable shoes I own. I wear them to work year round. 

#5: The Dresden Files

I really shouldn't have to explain this one, but just in case you don't know about The Dresden Files, it's a series by Jim Butcher about a Wizard who is in the phone book. Yep. I think that pretty much tells you why you have to read these books. They are amazing, and yes, Thomas is way more masculine than Edward any day of the week even with the fact that he owns a salon, bleeds pink, and has been known to dress as a pixie. 

#6: Yoga

Seriously, everyone should do yoga. I'm thinking about going back to teaching a few classes because my back has been killing me, but it's not just about pain. It's great for stress relief, focus and meditation, and staying fit. If you haven't tried it, go find a class. You'll be sore, but it will totally be worth it. 

(and yes, I can totally do the pose in the picture. For real.)

#7: Folk Music

Some of my favorite bands are Mumford and Sons, The Oh Hellos, Angus and Julia Stone, Fistful of Mercy, and Hozier. I love music that tells a story, often a somewhat dark story, while still maintaining a bit of an upbeat sound that doesn't totally depress me. 

#8: Dark Chocolate

I know a lot of people think dark chocolate is gross, but they are so very wrong. It's delicious. I don't like sicky sweet candy, and dark chocolate is so much smoother and melty than regular chocolate. Ghirardelli makes the best, but Lindt is a close second. And if you through in some sea salt... heaven. Seriously. 

#9: Old Movies

Bing Crosby, Fred Astair, Ginger Rogers, Audrey Hepburn, Vivien Leigh... I could watch them all day. Holiday Inn is just plain adorable, and not just because of Bing Crosby's ears, which always remind me of my dad's childhood pictures. His voice is pure delight, but he had this smooth, sweet personality that makes it impossible not to like him. And Audrey Hepburn... can you think of anyone who more accurate defines grace and poise. I love it. And now I want to go watch Charade

#10: Sticky Notes

They are a life saver. I have outlined entire books on sticky notes. I have a billion of them stuck to the whiteboard in my office as we speak. I use them at work. I have stuck them to the back of my phone to remind myself to call someone or pick something up. The traditional ones are the best, though. I don't particularly care for the accordion style pads. It's annoying trying to figure out which side you're supposed to pull from each time. 

So, there are my ten things I love, what do you admit to loving even if it might be silly?


No comments:

Post a Comment