Monday, September 2, 2013

Distractions...

When you're an author, sometimes multitasking isn't a good thing

In between graduating with my degree in Dental Hygiene and staring my new job, I had the summer to spend time with my family and get caught up on a few projects. Well, I planned to get caught up on a few projects anyway. 


With my To Do list looking something like this...


And my reading list looking something like this...

I didn't get quite as much done as I thought I would. 

But, the real reason I didn't finish as many projects as I would have liked was because I kept starting new ones! 

My main goal this summer as far as writing went was to learn a ton about promoting my new book, Wicked Hunger, and finish writing the sequel, Wicked Power. I did spend a lot of time figuring out how to market my book (the jury is still out on how effective it was) and got a lot done, but I made only about 12,000 words of progress on Wicked Power. 

Why? 

Because I wrote a completely different book instead and almost finished another one besides that. I thought taking a break from Wicked Power would help me work through a few plot issues I was struggling with. Instead, I got completely distracted. Sorry readers! I know you're waiting for Wicked Power, and I promise I will get it done over the next few months. 

So what got me so distracted? 

My very first published novel, Escaping Fate, has been falling behind my series lately. As a standalone book, it just wasn't grabbing as much attention. So, I decided to turn it into a series. Soul Stone is the second book in the series and follows Arrabella as she begins to realize her connection with Aztec gods has left her with an ability she'd rather not have and a new curse to figure out before someone gets hurt. Soul Stone is now going through beta readers and is planned to be published in early 2014. A third book, still unnamed, will complete the series, but will likely not be ready until 2015. Anyone who'd like to take a peek at Escaping Fate in preparation for Soul Stone can check it out Amazon, ibooks, and most major ebook retailers. 


The other project that stole my time away from Wicked Power was a story about an Invisible boy named Mason. After watching his family murdered in front of him, Masons tries to get help, but realizes no one can see him...except for Olivia. They become best friends instantly, but now as teenagers they begin to realize their feelings go beyond friendship. In the midst of trying to figure out the logistics of falling in love when one of them is invisible, Mason and Olivia become aware that a group of killers is hunting Mason, and if they find him, they have no intention of letting him live. The book is temporarily titled "Invisible" but I'm working on coming up with something better suited to the story. You can check out Invisible now on Wattpad
One last project to share, even though this one didn't take up much time this summer since it was already written. You can check out my YA post-apocalytptic novel, Child of Destruction, right now on Swoon Reads for FREE! Swoon Reads is a new pilot project from Macmillan Publishing where readers and editors get to vote and comment on the novel uploaded to their site. The novels that garner the most attention may just be published by Macmillan! So stop by Swoon Reads today and check out Child of Destruction

No comments:

Post a Comment